Following an incident that occurred in the municipality, the City of Clarence-Rockland Fire Department reiterates the importance of keeping your home's carbon monoxide alarms functional.  

"Carbon monoxide is colourless, odourless and tasteless. It is known as the silent killer for a reason. If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, never assume it's a false alarm and unplug it. Call 9-1-1 immediately, no matter what time of day or night," said Mario Villeneuve, Fire Chief for the municipality. 

What to do if the alarm goes off? 

Never assume it is a false alarm. 

  • Evacuate your home and call 9-1-1 when you are in a safe place. 

  • Do not re-enter your home until you have been informed that it is safe to do so. 

  • Contact your gas company if there is also a natural gas smell, or your propane supplier if there is a propane smell (rotten egg smell). 

If the alarm goes off intermittently and you have no physical symptoms: 

  • Check that the battery does not need to be replaced, or that the alarm has reached the end of its useful life. 

  • If the alarm was not triggered for these reasons, call 9-1-1. 

  • Visit the carbon monoxide section of our website for more information on how to protect yourself and your family