Sign Permits

You may have to apply for a permit before installing a permanent or temporary sign on your property.

Before you apply for a Sign Permit, you need to know your property's zoning, since different sign permissions apply in different zones. Find or confirm your zoning in the United Counties of Prescott and Russell's À La Carte application or in the City of Clarence-Rockland's Zoning By-Law.

Apply for a Sign Permit

The Sign Permit Application Form is available online and at City Hall.

For the application, the following documents are mandatory:

  • Image of proposed sign including all text and graphics and dimensions of the signs.
  • Plan indicating the proposed location of the sign with clearly marked distances from buildings, driveways, parking, streets, and property lines.
  • Letter from property owner granting permission for the sign (if applicable).
  • A cheque for the amount of the permit application fee (for in person application).

Complete and submit the Sign Permit Application Form.

Submission requirements are outlined in the application form. 


See our User Fee By-Law, Appendix H for complete sign permit rates.

Applicable By-Law

The Signs By-Law, a by-law for governing permanent signs, temporary signs and billboards details the regulations of the erection, display and maintenance of signs and other advertising devices within the limits of the City of Clarence-Rockland.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit to erect a temporary mobile sign or banner sign in front of my business?

Yes, a permit is required.

How long can my mobile sign or banner sign stay up?

A mobile sign or a banner sign may be permitted for a time period not exceeding 120 days commencing on the date indicated on the permit. A maximum of 4 temporary sign permits may be issued within a one-year period as long as the 120 days is not exceeded.

Can I install an A-frame sign in front of my business?

Yes, A-frame signs are permitted on a commercial property from May 1st to November 1st.

The maximum size is:

  • Width 60 cm
  • length 75 cm
  • height 1 m

No sign permit is necessary.

Does my sign need to be bilingual?

Yes. The business name can be unilingual, however the message and content of any new permanent or temporary sign shall be written in both official languages of Canada. The lettering of a permanent or temporary sign (dimension and style) must be identical in French and in English. A double-faced sign may have the message or content written in English on one side and French on the other side.

Can I erect a sign if I have a small home-based business or a bed and breakfast?

Yes, a sign for a bed and breakfast or home-based business may be a wall sign, a window sign, a projecting sign, or a ground sign, provided it is:

  • no larger than 0.5 m2;
  • in the case of a ground sign, no more than 1.5 m in height;
  • in the case of a wall sign, a window sign, or a projecting sign, located on the ground floor of the dwelling or accessory building in which the business is located;
  • the only sign on the property.

A sign for a bed and breakfast or home-based business shall not be a ground sign if located within the urban area or a community policy area.

Can I apply for a sign permit after I installed my sign?

No person shall erect a sign on private or public property within the City of Clarence-Rockland without first having obtained a permit for the sign.

Can I have more than one ground sign for my business?

No more than one ground sign is permitted relating to the same business or organization on the same property.

Where is it acceptable to install a ground sign for my business?

Every ground sign shall be:

  • at least 1.5 m from any property line;
  • at least 0.5 m from a parking lot or other area usually travelled or used by motor vehicles; and
  • outside of a visibility triangle (see the Signs By-Law for details).