Educating. Helping. Serving.

Municipal Law Enforcement (MLE) is a division of Clarence-Rockland's Protective Services department. Our team works proactively to educate residents, business owners and visitors about the measures and rules in place to keep them safe and maintain public order.

When necessary, Municipal Law Enforcement Officers have the authority to intervene when there are concerns about how City By-Laws and Policies  are being respected. We can be contacted 24-7 every day of the year and are committed to responding quickly.

Submit a concern

By-Law concerns can be reported by telephone from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. by calling 613-446-6022.

To report a concern outside of those hours, please call 613-783-7225.

You can also submit a concern online.

Most common concerns

The Municipal Law Enforcement Team answers questions and responds to concerns about standards and by-laws. Information about some of our most common requests is listed here. For all other by-law details, visit By-laws and Policies.

Pandemic concerns

We are responsible for enforcing the pandemic regulations and policies outlined by the Province of Ontario. We can answer questions about the rules and how they apply to our municipality, and will respond to concerning situations when needed.

Trees and Long Grass

Lawns, trees, hedges and shrubs should not infringe on neighbouring properties, and grass and weeds must be kept shorter than 20 cm (8 in) as outlined in By-laws and Policies. Trimming is the responsibility of the property owner and/or tenants as per their tenant agreement.

Be a good neighbour. Always communicate concerns and intentions about shared trees, shrubs and branches with your neighbour before acting. Ask for permission to access their property when trimming hedges or cutting branches.

We have the right to intervene when lawns and trees do not meet the standards outlined in established by-laws. If so, the property owner must pay the maintenance expenses.

Snow shoveling

Building access areas must remain shoveled to allow for access by emergency services. Snow removal is the responsibility of the property owner and/or tenant as per their rental agreement.

When shoveling or removing snow:

  • do not push or dump snow onto the street or sidewalk ;  and
  • consider shoveling a three metre perimeter around the fire hydrant closest to your home. This courtesy can help the Fire Department respond to calls as quickly as possible.

Dogs and animals

We are responsible for responding to concerns about dogs and other animals which are outlined in the By-laws and Policies. Dogs must be kept on leash at all times unless they are on their own property or at the off-leash dog park.

Stray or lost dogs

Dogs which are off-leash and wandering or running at large off their property without their owner should be reported to our office by calling:

  • 613-446-6022 ext. 0 during office hours Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; or
  • 613-248-9826 outside office hours

If you have lost your dog, find information in Animal Services.

Excessive barking

We can respond to concerns about excessive barking longer than 15 minutes as outlined in the rules for noise in By-laws and Policies.

Dog bites and attacks

Report concerns about dog bites, vicious activity, or attacks by calling us:

  • Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 613-446-6022 extension 0; or 
  • outside office hours at 613-248-9826

If a dog has bitten you, seek medical attention as soon as possible.

If you require immediate emergency medical assistance, call 9-1-1

For additional helpful dog owner information, refer to the Dog Owner's Liability Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.D.16 (DOLA)

Dog excrement

Dog owners are responsible for picking up and disposing of dog excrement on all property in the municipality. Unattended dog excrement may cause health risks

Be a good neighbour. Be especially vigilant when spring temperatures and thawing excrement on your property may cause odour issues for neighbours. 

Related links

Dog licensing information can be found in Animal Services.

Wildlife concerns should be directed to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF)

Dead animal removal requests should be submitted to Public Works. Call Client Service Centre at 613-446-6022 ext. 0 for more information.

Wildlife predation of livestock and poultry is handled by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA)

Clean Yards and Property Maintenance

Residents must keep their property clean, cleared and free from domestic and industrial waste as per By-laws and Policies.

Do not allow these items to accumulate on your yard:

  • discarded vehicles and parts
  • grass clippings, tree cuttings, brush, leaves and garden refuse
  • cardboard, cans, bottles and other items for recycling
  • construction materials
  • discarded appliances

To arrange for pick-up of large or bulky items, you must purchase a special sticker from City Hall.

Do not throw these items out with your regular garbage:

  • compostable items, branches, trees, yard waste 
  • tires
  • electronics
  • household hazardous waste

Learn about how to dispose of these items by visiting our landfill site page.

The City also runs a number of environmental activities to help you dispose of items.

  • fall clean-up for “big garbage” pick-up ;
  • giveaway weekend


Fences must meet the minimum standards outlined in By-laws and Policies and must be:

  • stable and vertical;
  • made of quality material suitable for the purpose; and
  • consistent with the design of existing fences

They must be kept in good repair, which includes keeping it:

  • structurally sound and hazard-free
  • painted or preserved

Related links

The Province of Ontario provides information about the Line Fences Act and questions can be directed to the City Clerk.

Ontario Building Code (OBC) and landlord-tenant act concerns should be directed to the Construction Department.

The Infrastructure and Planning Department  handles questions about structural building concerns (roof, foundation, ill maintained walls, etc.).

Business Licensing

Municipal Law Enforcement Officers handle compliance concerns around valid licensing, signage, and other business-related concerns. We are also involved during the licensing application stage for inspections.

Questions about applying for business licences should be sent to Client Services.


The Enforcement team handles zoning compliance concerns at the request of the City. Residents and business owners with questions or concerns about zoning should contact Client Services.


It is important to take steps to ensure noise coming from your property does not disturb your neighbours. The City has rules about the time and types of acceptable noises depending on where you live. For specifics, consult By-laws and Policies.

In general, be especially aware of your volume between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. for noises made by:

  • loud music
  • musical instruments
  • radios and sound systems
  • televisions
  • computers
  • shouting

Noise from lawn and home maintenance must be avoided from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. every day of the week. Snow removal equipment is permitted at any time.

Construction noise is not permitted:

  • weekdays between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
  • weekends and holidays between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m.

Be a good neighbour. Don't disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort, or convenience of your neighbours on their own property.

Be a good neighbour

Your behaviour impacts your neighbours, just as much as their actions affect you. It is our experience that most conflicts between neighbours can be worked out with good communication and neighbourly etiquette. 

Seven tips for keeping the peace and being a good neighbour:
  1. Be cordial. Introduce yourselves and continue with friendly greetings when you see each other. This paves the way for easier conversations when conflicts arise.
  2. Inform your neighbours. Let them know if you will be doing a project or having a party that might carry over property lines. Letting them know that you are aware of the extra noise, dust (and even smells) can make them less defensive and more tolerant of the temporary intrusion.
  3. Respect differences. Factors like age, culture, and even design taste can lead to disagreements and misunderstandings. Try to understand each other's view.
  4. Look at it from their angle. Think about what your property looks and sounds like from their view, inside and out. Considering your neighbour's point of view can help you be a good neighbour.
  5. Talk it out. If there is something that is bothering you, talk with your neighbour early and candidly so that the problem doesn't grow bigger. Many times, they are unaware that their actions are affecting you. If you leave it too long, the conversation can become unnecessarily awkward.
  6. Listen, breathe, speak. If a neighbour tells you about a problem, listen to their concerns and try to understand the issue. Then take a deep breath before you respond. This calm approach will help you to be less defensive and able to focus on a solution instead of adding to the tension.
  7. Reach out for help. If you are unable to resolve an issue with a neighbour and would like clarification about the standards and by-laws in the City, contact the Municipal Law Enforcement team. Our officers are literally here to help keep the peace.