The City of Clarence-Rockland is a municipality of approximately 25,000 residents, on the banks of the Ottawa River. It shares its borders with the City of Ottawa to the west, the Township of Alfred-Plantagenet to the east and The Nation municipality to the south. Clarence-Rockland was founded in 1998 with the amalgamation of the City of Rockland and the Township of Clarence. Most of the residents are in the Rockland urban area, but many families have chosen to settle in the villages and hamlets scattered throughout its rural and agricultural area.



The Rockland region began to develop around 1840 with the construction of the L'Orignal-Bytown road. In 1868, William Cameron Edwards erected a sawmill at McCaul Point, today's Du Moulin Park. Here is the history of Rockland in a few important dates:

  • 1888 - Construction of a Grand Tronc Railway line to Limoges to transport wood and merchandise.
  • 1889 - Father Siméon Hudon, first pastor of the Très-Sainte-Trinité parish arrives in Rockland.
  • 1908 - Construction of a second railway, linking Ottawa and Hawkesbury, which helped increase the population. People could then take the train to Ottawa to do their shopping and return the same day.
  • 1926 - The W.C. Edwards sawmill closes. Part of the population leaves Rockland for Quebec to find work.
  • 1939 - Economic recovery with the beginning of the Second World War.

With the return of soldiers after the war came an increase in population and people can now enjoy the new Trans-Canada Highway. Housing construction boomed, resulting in the expansion of water and electricity services, and the establishment of the first sewer system in 1964.



The first name of the village of Bourget was The Brook. This name was changed in 1910. Part of the Larose Forest, the jewel of the United Counties of Prescott and Russell and the province of Ontario, lies within its territory.

  • 1860 - Construction of a small school that can accommodate 25 to 30 children.
  • 1880 - Opening of the first post office.
  • 1885 - Beginning of the construction of a chapel.
  • 1888 - Construction of a telephone line between Bourget and Rockland.
  • 1897 - Construction of a railroad between Ottawa and Montreal that crosses Bourget.
  • 1903 - The Sisters of Charity arrive in Bourget. They take care of the school from 1918 until 1930.

The development of Bourget was constant with the establishment of a large number of shops. Its population is overwhelmingly French speaking. Bourget's most important industry was agriculture.



This small hamlet was founded in 1895. It is located about three kilometres west of Bourget on Russell Road.

  • 1896 - Construction of a Canadian Pacific Railway station. The railroad connected Ottawa to Montreal.
  • 1897 - A terrible fire destroys the sawmill, the carding mill, businesses and almost all residences.

In the years that followed, the peaceful hamlet rose from its ashes to become a thriving agricultural economy.


Clarence Creek

In 1853, the first pioneers of the village arrived from Quebec. They bought land for farming. A first chapel is built in 1859. In 1865, the village is composed of two hundred families. In 1881, the parish of Clarence Creek included the entire Township of Clarence.

  • 1895 - Télesphore Rochon founded the Ralliement, a French-language weekly newspaper.
  • 1895 – The Grand Tronc Railway's South Indian Line is established and allows the export of hay to the United States.
  • 1898 - Onésime Guibord is elected MLA for the Township of Russell in the provincial government in Toronto.

Mr. Télesphore Rochon and Mr. Onésime Guibord both participate in the foundation of the newspaper Le Droit.


Clarence Point

The hamlet of Clarence Point is best known for having been inhabited by the Tucker family. This family settled in the area in the mid 1800's and quickly became prosperous. They were leaders in local industry, owned a brickyard, were involved in the lumber boom and also owned a dairy farm and general store along what was once the main road between Ottawa and Montreal.
  • 1870 - Construction of Tucker house. This is the wedding present Stephen Tucker Sr. had built for his only son, Stephen Tucker Jr. Today, Tucker House is a centre for renewal and can be visited.


The village of Hammond was founded in the 1880's, along the Canadian Pacific Railway. Its territory then extended from Bourget to Sarsfield. At the time, the area was covered with logging camps. Little by little, the land became suitable for agriculture.

  • 1895 - Opening of the post office
  • 1896 - Two railroads, the Grand Tronc Line and the Canadian Pacific Railway, are located in the village.
  • 1912 - construction of the church

The explosion of June 13, 1914 was a historical event that destroyed part of the village. The flames were pushed by a strong wind and quickly reached the neighboring houses. The fire then spread to a field of black earth where it burned for almost a month. Another major fire threatened the village in 1941. It was saved thanks to the work of the men of the village who were all volunteer firefighters.


St-Pascal Baylon

Around 1886, this hamlet was called "The Lake" and also "Cobb's Lake" because of a small lake there. The village changed its name to St-Pascal-Baylon on June 1, 1909.

  • 1886 - Opening of the post office on July 1, under the name "The Lake".
  • 1908 - 1909 - Construction of the first church and the presbytery.
  • 1943 - A fire destroys the church on June 20. The population erects a new church in the same place.