Construction permit

Planning your work is protecting your investments!

If you are planning any construction work, please find out if a permit is required before you start.

When is a building permit required?

A Building Permit is required for the following works:

  • any new construction, including residential, agricultural, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings;
  • additions such as a carport, garage, room or another story to an existing building;
  • addition of structural features such as a balcony, canopy or dormer or enclosing a porch;
  • excavation for the construction of a new or full basement under an existing building;
  • construction of any accessory building or structure with a gross floor area of 108 square feet or more, such as a garage or an accessory building;
  • installation or replacement of doors or windows when structural modifications are required;
  • renovations, repairs or structural changes such as removing a load bearing partition or wall;
  • installation of a wood stove, furnace, fireplace or chimney;
  • finishing of a basement;
  • installation of a structural sign or tower;
  • change of use of a building (example: from residential to commercial);
  • installation of a new roof (except for the replacement of shingles)
  • a retaining wall over 1 meter in height
  • installation or modification to a plumbing system.
  • Installation of solar panel on building.

General Information 

In order to obtain a building permit, please fill out the application form and submit all required documentation for your project. The application can be sent by email to or in person at city Hall, 1560 Laurier Street, Rockland during normal business hours.

Before starting any work, you must verify the conformity of your project with the Planning Department.

Plan ahead; the issuance of a building permit may take many weeks depending on the complexity of the project.

Click on the links below to access the following  application forms:

 Guide for adding a second unit in your existing house (Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing)

Garage application guide - Bilingual

Deck application guide - Bilingual

Accessory Apartment guide - Bilingual 

Pool application guide - Bilingual

New House application guide - Bilingual