Commissioner of Oath

City Residents are encouraged to call ahead to make sure a Commissioner will be available. (613-446-6022 ext. 2300)

The City of Clarence-Rockland provides commissioning service for City residents only. Identification proving the deponent is a resident (or business owner) of Clarence-Rockland is required. The person (s) swearing the affidavit must attend in person and will also be required to produce government issued identification bearing their photo and signature such as driver’s license or passport.

An affidavit/declaration must be presented. City Staff will not create or edit the affidavit/declaration on your behalf. If you have questions or need assistance with completing your document, please contact the party/agency that requires that you complete the form. The commissioner for taking affidavits cannot counsel or assist deponents with completing the affidavit/declaration document.

All information on the document except the signature must be filled in before it is sworn and any enclosures mentioned must be attached. No changes can be made to the document after it is sworn.

The person swearing the affidavit/declaration must have read and understood the contents of the document. You will be asked to swear or declare that the information is correct before signing the document and must sign it in front of the Commissioner.

A Commissioner will only swear an affidavit or declaration for documents staying within the Province of Ontario. If the affidavit or declaration is for another province or country, you should contact a Notary Public who, generally, must be a lawyer. City staff cannot sign as a Notary Public.

A Commissioner of Oaths and Affidavits has the right to refuse to administer any document presented to them.

Examples of common documents we may be able to commission:

  • Immunization exemptions
  • Insurance claim forms
  • Vehicle transfers

Examples of common documents that we cannot commission:

  • Divorce papers or separation agreements
  • Power of attorney documents
  • Real estate documents, including transfer of land
  • Wills

We cannot guarantee that we can commission documents until we see them - we reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.


1-Commissioning of municipal documents:   No Fee

2- Commissioning of residency verification for pension purposes:  $10.00 per document

3-All other documents that may be acceptable to the Commissioner:  $ 20.00 per document